Architecture and Building


Architecture programs in Australia are devised in collaboration with the Australian Institute of Architects, and Building programs developed with the Australian Institute of Building (AIB). Specialisations available through this discipline include:

Interior Design/Decoration; Urban/Regional/Rural Planning; Urban Studies;
Environmental Planning;

Town Planning;
Landscape Design; Construction Management;

Building Surveying; Building Design; Cabinet-making/Carpentry; Plumbing/Tiling/Plastering; Drafting;

Landscape Gardening.


Architecture and Building programs are offered at the following qualification levels: Certificate
Advanced Diploma

Bachelor Degree
Graduate Certificate Postgraduate Diploma
Masters by research/coursework PhD

TAFE and private colleges typically offer vocational programs through Certificates, Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas. These allow students to become trades people and gain practical job skills. Universities offer more specialised Bachelor Degrees, Graduate Certificates, Postgraduate Diplomas, Masters, Professional Doctorates and PhDs. These programs allow students to practise as professional Architects, Urban Planners and Surveyors.

There are, however, some exceptions. Some TAFEs and Colleges might offer Bachelor programs and universities Diploma and Advanced Diploma programs. Pathways are available for students wishing to link their programs and reduce the amount of time of their total study.

Vocational Education and Training Programs

TAFE and private colleges offer programs in specific trades associated with the building construction industry. These are offered as traditional programs as well as through traineeships where students learn on-the-job.

Examples of programs offered at this level include:

LEVEL: Certificate
QUALIFICATION: Certificate IV in Architectural Technology; Certificate IV in Building.
LEVEL: Diploma
QUALIFICATION:Diploma of Building Design; Diploma of Interior Design.
LEVEL:Advanced Diploma
QUALIFICATION:Advanced Diploma of Building Design.

Certificate IV in Architectural Technology; Certificate IV in Building.

Entry requirements vary but typically admission into architectural and design programs are higher than the trade-based programs. For example:

  • Certificate IV in Carpentry – students generally must have completed equivalent to Australian grade 10 (such as Mathayom Suksa Yr 5; O Levels; Taiwanese High School: SMA).
  • Diploma of Building – requires completion of Australian grade 12 or equivalent (A Levels, International Baccalaureate or Canadian OAC).

    University Programs

    Completion of an Architecture, Planning or Development Degree at university level allows students to practise as professionals in their chosen field. Examples of university level programs include:




Bachelor of Architecture;
Bachelor of Arts (Architectural Studies); Bachelor of Science;
Bachelor of Town Planning;
Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning.


Graduate Certificate of Development Planning; Postgraduate Diploma of Project Management; Masters of Regional Development;
Masters of Architecture; and



Requirements for entry into specialised programs such as Bachelor of Architecture are generally higher than Bachelor of Arts or Science majoring in Architecture or Urban Planning. However, completion of the latter program would not give students accreditation to practise as a professional. Examples of admission requirements include:

Bachelor of Architecture – 5 points at A Level in a minimum of two subjects to 11 points at A Levels. Some competitive courses also require students to produce a portfolio to be considered for admission.

Most university programs in Architecture, Urban Planning and Town Planning include a practical internship. This provides students with essential hands-on experience before graduation.


Examples of admission requirements are as follows:

  • Masters of Architecture – A relevant Australian Bachelor Degree or equivalent plus a design portfolio.
  • Masters of Urban and Regional Planning – entry requirements range from an Australian Bachelor Degree or equivalent in a relevant field, to an Australian postgraduate degree or equivalent in a relevant field plus at least two years work experience.


    Very few pathways are available for students wanting to transfer their credits and qualifications from the VTE sector to University sector. Pathways do exist within TAFE and private colleges to articulate between Certificate, Diploma and Advanced Diploma. Similar pathways exist in universities for students wishing to upgrade from Graduate Certificates to Postgraduate Diplomas to Masters and PhD.

    Professional Associations

    Graduated students may be eligible for membership in the following professional bodies:


  • Australian Institute of Architects
  • Student Organised Network for Architecture (SONA) – Australia
  • Australian Institute of Landscape Architects (AILA)
  • Commonwealth Association of Architects (CAA)
  • New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA)
  • Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC)
  • American Institute of Architects (AIA)
  • The Indian Institute of Architects (IIA)


  • Pertubuhan Akitek Malaysia (PAM)
  • Singapore Institute of Architects (SIA)


  • Australian Institute of Building (AIB)
  • Australian Institute of Building Surveyors (AIBS)
  • Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (AIQS)
  • Master Builders of Australia (MBA)
  • National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC)
  • Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) – UK
  • American Institute of Building Design (AIBD)
  • Hong Kong Institute of Building (HKIOB)

Career Opportunities

Landscape Architect;
Urban and Regional Planner; Civil Engineer;
Fibrous Plasterer;
Safety Inspector;

Building and Construction Manager; Painter;
Interior Designer;
Construction Plant Operator; Project Manager;

Surveyor; and Town Planner.


Useful Information

Government sites

  • Australia Country Information (DFAT)
  • Australian Demographic Statistics, March 2011 (ABS)
  • Public Holidays

    Tourism sites

  • Australian Capital Tourism Corporation
  • Tourism New South Wales
  • Northern Territory Tourism Commission
  • Tourism Queensland
  • South Australian Tourism Commission
  • Tourism Tasmania
  • Tourism Victoria
  • Western Australian Tourism Commission

    Weather Information

  • Rainfall and Temperature graphs (BOM)
  • you also can find weather information about cities around the world from World Climate.

    Standard Times

    Australia has both Standard Times and Daylight Saving Times (note that GMT stands for Greenwich Mean Time).





Eastern Standard Time (EST)

New South Wales Australian Capital Territory Victoria

+ 10


Central Standard Time (CST)

South Australia Northern Territory

+ 9.5


Western Standard Time (WST)

Western Australia



Daylight Saving Times





Eastern Daylight/Summer Time (EDT)

New South Wales Australian Capital Territory Victoria

+ 11


Central Daylight/Summer Time (CDT)

South Australia

+ 10.5


Western Daylight/Summer Time (WDT)

Western Australia

+ 9.0


No Daylight Saving Times – use Standard Times

Queensland Northern Territory

+ 10 + 9.5

7:00pm 6:30pm

Refer to the Bureau of Meteorology for the start and finish dates of daylight saving times.